Welcome to ZenBagLady, which I launched in November 2006. Technically, I practice Vipassana and not Zen Buddhism, but VipassanaBagLady doesn’t roll off the tongue. (Please forgive me if you are a Zen practitioner. I mean no offense.) However, this isn’t a blog about meditation or religion, at least not the on-the-cushion kind of meditation (there are far better people than me to talk about those things). I’m just a slightly-past-middle-aged woman with a computer who (always) has things on my mind.
A few other things you might want to know about me:
- I was a full-time columnist and lifestyles editor at The Clarion News from 1996 through 2002. My bi-monthly op-ed column, Been There, Done That (the grandmother of ZenBagLady), won the Press Club of Western Pennsylvania’s Golden Quill Award in 1999 and was a finalist in 2001. I also won the Marie Spencer Hutchinson Memorial Prize for Essay Writing in 1994 and 1999.
- Lynn’s Weigh was featured in People magazine’s “Half Their Size” weight-loss edition in 2008 and was featured on CNN’s FitNation with Dr. Sanjay Gupta. I had the great fortune to be a guest contributor to the FitNation blog, too.
- As a freelance writer, my work has appeared in the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Temple Medicine, Washington & Jefferson Magazine, Pursuits Magazine and Canada’s Trade and Commerce.
- In May 2018, I received a master’s degree in literature and composition from Indiana University of Pennsylvania.
- Currently, I volunteer in the prison system, teaching classes in writing and poetry, and I’m a writing mentor for the Minnesota Prison Writing Workshop. I am also advisor and editor of the inmate-written newsletter, The Grove, at the State Correction Facility – Pine Grove in Pennsylvania.
- Published a review of naturalist Scott Weidensaul’s book, A World on the Wing: The Global Odyssey of Migratory Birds, on the Brevity Blog.