Welcome to ZenBagLady, which I launched in November 2006. ZenBagLady absorbed most of the content of my other blog some of you might be familiar with, Lynn’s Weigh. Posts from Lynn’s Weigh are categorized on the links on the right.
Technically, I practice Vipassana and not Zen Buddhism, but VipassanaBagLady doesn’t roll off the tongue. (Please forgive me if you are a Zen practitioner. I mean no offense.) However, this isn’t a blog about meditation or religion, at least not the on-the-cushion kind of meditation (there are far better people than me to talk about those things). I’m just a slightly-past-middle-aged woman with a computer who (always) has things on my mind.
A few other things you might want to know about me:
- I was a full-time columnist and lifestyles editor at The Clarion News from 1996 through 2002. My bi-monthly op-ed column, Been There, Done That (the grandmother of ZenBagLady), won the Press Club of Western Pennsylvania’s Golden Quill Award in 1999 and was a finalist in 2001. I also won the Marie Spencer Hutchinson Memorial Prize for Essay Writing in 1994 and 1999.
- Lynn’s Weigh was featured in People magazine’s “Half Their Size” weight-loss edition in 2008 and was featured on CNN’s FitNation with Dr. Sanjay Gupta. I had the great fortune to be a guest contributor to the FitNation blog, too.
- As a freelance writer, my work has appeared in the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Temple Medicine, Washington & Jefferson Magazine, Pursuits Magazine and Canada’s Trade and Commerce.
- In May 2018, I received a master’s degree in literature and composition from Indiana University of Pennsylvania.
- Currently, I volunteer in the prison system, teaching classes in writing and poetry, and I’m a writing mentor for the Minnesota Prison Writing Workshop. I am also advisor and editor of the inmate-written newsletter, The Grove, at the State Correction Facility – Pine Grove in Pennsylvania.
Below are links to some entries that represent both of my blogs from. In resurrecting ZenBagLady, some of the themes will sound familiar, but as with everything in life, change will be ever present.
Thanks for stopping by! To contact me, email me at email@example.com or follow me on Instagram and Twitter @ZenBagLady