I launched this site in November 2006 as a place to publish my essays about topics unrelated to weight issues, which I was doing on my former blog, Lynn’s Weigh.
Greatest Hits include:
- Grieving the Living
- Turn & Face What’s Changed
- Love is Patient, Love is Kind. Damn It, I Keep Forgetting
- Laid Bare By a Questionnaire
- Pain is NOT an Identity
- Hope is Our Only Hope
- A Love That Could Never Be
- To See, Change, and Unlearn: Confronting My White Privilege
- The One About Sixth Grade
- Feeling the Feels of 2020
- Diamonds Aren’t Always a Girl’s Best Friend
- Hip as a Mustang (in honor of my father)
- Why I Love Rebecca Pearson (“This is Us” Spoiler Alert)
- Goodbye, Dad (in memory of my father)
- Etched in Stone
- “Leaving the Bubble” was published in the anthology, Six Feet Apart…in the Time of Corona (Acorn Publishing, Dec. 2022).
- My essay, Sometimes Ted Lasso Isn’t Enough, was published on the Brevity Blog in April 2022.
- I reviewed naturalist Scott Weidensaul‘s book, A World on the Wing: The Global Odyssey of Migratory Birds, on the Brevity Blog.
- In May 2018, I earned a master’s degree in literature and composition from Indiana University of Pennsylvania.
- I volunteer in the prison system, teaching classes in writing and poetry, and I’m a writing mentor for the Minnesota Prison Writing Workshop. I am also advisor and editor of the inmate-written newsletter, The Grove, at the State Correction Facility – Pine Grove in Pennsylvania. Click here to read my blog entry, Reading & Writing in Prison.
- I was a full-time columnist and lifestyles editor at The Clarion News from 1996 through 2002. My bi-monthly op-ed column, Been There, Done That (the grandmother of ZenBagLady), won the Press Club of Western Pennsylvania’s Golden Quill Award in 1999 and was a finalist in 2001. I also won the Marie Spencer Hutchinson Memorial Prize for Essay Writing in 1994 and 1999.
- Lynn’s Weigh was featured in People magazine’s “Half Their Size” weight-loss edition in 2008 and was featured on CNN’s FitNation with Dr. Sanjay Gupta. I had the great fortune to be a guest contributor to the FitNation blog.
- Other media includes being a guest on Oprah, Today, Entertainment Tonight, CNN, 60 Minutes Australia, local television, several national radio shows, and Joy Bauer’s Joy Fit Club. I was interviewed for the article “The Fat Trap” published in New York Times Magazine in January 2012.
- I wrote the foreword to Dr. Barbara Berkeley’s book, Refuse to Regain: 12 Tough Rules to Maintain the Body You’ve Earned (Quilldriver Books, 2008), and for two years, coauthored the blog Refuse to Regain.
- As a freelance writer, my work has appeared in the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Temple Medicine, Washington & Jefferson Magazine, Pursuits Magazine and Canada’s Trade and Commerce.
Thanks for stopping by! To contact me, email me at email@example.com or follow me on Facebook or on Instagram @ZenBagLady